6 Things NOT to say if his Team Loses

Ease your way out of a bad loss for his team during playoffs with these strategies from Lena and Jules of WhileTheMenWatch:

1. “At least they came in second place.”

According to our men, there might as well not even be a silver medal at the Olympics.  Second is dirt. Don’t mention it.

2. “The way they were playing, they didn’t deserve to win anyway.”

Never insult his “boys”.  Even though he knows the truth deep down, this approach may trigger a recap of series highlights.  Listening to that is probably more painful than sitting through an actual game.

3. “We are out of beer.”

Keep a secret stash on ice, for bad moments like this.  Don’t even wait for him to ask – crack it open and put it in his hand immediately after the clock stops.  Like a heart attack victim, most are likely to survive if treated within the first 4 minutes.

4. “Now that your team is out, you can work on cleaning out the garage.”

Do not mention this wonderful reality for at least 48-hrs or it may backfire.  Your list of to-do’s should be presented in a casual way, when he has begun to regain signs of life.  Premature nagging may lead to extended procrastination which is bad news for the rosebush that needs to be planted.

5. “Oh by the way, we are going to my mother’s house for dinner tonight.”

For at least 24-hrs post-losing game, avoid all contact with in-laws and your extended family.  His delicate condition may have paralyzed his communication “filters”.  The last thing you need is him telling Aunt Ronda that she is getting fat and that her husband is an alcoholic.

6. “Sorry, not tonight, I have my period.”

Make it happen girls – under any circumstance. Take one for the team.

Comments

1. says

Seriously……I was laughing and agreeing up until #6….i just got ignored for the entire game….now I am suppose to give it up…..I dont even know what team he wanted to win…should i ask before i take one for the team???LOL

2. Lena & Jules says

Karen, #6 gives you credit toward a future debate over changing the channel. Similar to when dealing with a puppy, never underestimate the power of the reward system!

3. says

4. says

Thanks for your idea on #6. Most women wouldn’t share this point of view but maybe if its suggested by a woman or a site geared towards woman then maybe they will rethink there “not tonight” frame of mind. Also wanted to say I love your site, keep the topics current, updated, and variety of articles and I think you 2 will have it it big if you havn’t already. The match is lit now just keep pouring on the gas! Lovin it from Halifax! (Sorry but had to update my website link, I used an old one first, please use this post) ;)

5. kc says

So fun to read! And now we have all agreed that if his team loses, its fair to give it up. But if his team wins then hes looking for a celebration and “we give it up”. This is to say, do your man no matter what the outcome… so we win every time!! ??

6. Kirsten says

Are you ladies serious? How much are your men paying you to write this c-r-a-p? You’re telling me to treat my husband like a spoiled baby. You’re telling us to tippy-toe around and be careful of what we do and say if ‘his team’ loses. If it was actually his team and he was a professional athlete out on the ice or on the court, fine. But no guy that sits on the couch with a beer for hours per week or in the pub for hours per week should get any type of special treatment (especially when there are children at home that need quality time with dad). I say, What I would say to those guys: “Suck it up, be a man and plant the rose bush… the game is over… time to grow up.”
    PS – I’m here because my husband sent me to this lame website.

• Lena & Jules says

Kirsten, we never treat our husbands like babies and surely don’t tippy-toe around them as you suggest. WhileTheMenWatch is a place for women who are confident enough with themselves and in their relationships with men to have fun and engage in sports in a unique way. You have your approach, we have ours.

• Clara says

Kirsten,

I completely agree with you! There are so much more important things in life that should be given the attention a hockey game gets.